Reader’s Edyn

I always felt like I could do something more than just read. Finally, I have found both a creative outlet and a chance to do something meaningful with my reading. This blog was created in appreciation of and tribute to all of the authors who have brought me joy through their books. These reviews are my way of giving back to authors and providing recognition for the hard work that each one completes every day!

Monday, February 6, 2012

Interview: Veronica Scott



Today on the blog, we have the talented Veronica Scott. Ms. Scott has a new release out entitled Priestess of the Nile. It just released on January 23rd. I have to admit that the cover is what first attracted me to this title. I only wish I had read it already. But I am glad to say that I Have just obtained my own copy and will be reading it soon. But until then, here is a little about Ms. Scott.

**VERONICA SCOTT**

**BIOGRAPHY**

Veronica Scott grew up in a house with a library full of books as its heart, and when she ran out of things to read, she started writing her own stories. Married young to her high school sweetheart then widowed, Veronica has two grown daughters, one young grandson and cats.

Veronica's life has taken many twists and turns, but she always makes time to keep reading and writing. Everything is good source material for the next novel or the one after that anyway, right? She's been through earthquakes, tornadoes and near death experiences, although nothing is as stressful as meeting a book deadline. Always more stories to tell, new adventures to experience--Veronica's personal motto is, "Never boring."

**Priestess of the Nile**


**EXCERPT**

Chapter One

The old abandoned temple remained one of his favorite spots along the Nile, overlooking the river from a small bluff, with a deserted beach below. Bek stood gazing across the sparkling water at bronze- and black-spotted crocodiles sunbathing in the final rays of the setting sun. A breathtaking mix of colors stained the sky as the Goddess Nuit spread her cloak across the heavens, sprinkling the black velvet with stars.
A beautiful soprano voice rose from the beach below the bluff. Bek recognized the words of a familiar old song, given new meaning by the hypnotizing, alluring voice. I must see this songbird. She’s cast some kind of spell over me.
He strolled along the path from the ruins toward the beach. Taking the last turn on the trail, he walked out on the sand and found the woman. She waded in the water, casting a small fishing net and retrieving it, every once in a while picking out a wriggling silver fish and throwing it into a waiting basket on the beach.
Her ample breasts flashed into view when she leaned over. She had kilted her skirt to her thighs, revealing shapely legs. Long ebony hair was caught behind her ears with combs in the shape of seashells.
Wouldn’t I like to take those combs out and see her hair tumble down—she’s as beautiful as her voice. He must have made some sound. She stopped singing and wheeled, taking an involuntary step deeper into the river at the sight of him, a stranger. Her face paled under her tan and her eyes opened wide as she staggered, caught by an eddy of the current.
“Don’t be frightened, please. I mean you no harm.” He held his hands up, palms out, and smiled. “I heard your singing and it drew me here. I only wanted to give my thanks for the concert.”
She laid one hand on her graceful throat, toying with an amulet on a thong. “You startled me.” Poised to bolt, the girl appeared wary, probably planning an attempt to run past him.
“I apologize.” He kicked off his sandals and waded into the water at an angle from her. The net drifted lazily in a whirlpool; he reached out and caught it, lifting the tangled strands from the river.
“Oh, don’t! You’ll ruin your fine kilt, sir.” She came to him hastily and took the net from his hands. “The river runs muddy at this time of the year. Your servants will labor in vain to get the stains out.”
He glanced at his waist. Oh yes, I did choose to wear the pleated white kilt of a nobleman. He followed her to the shore as she splashed through tiny waves with her net. “Fortunately, I have no servants to worry with such things.”
While putting his sandals on, Bek frowned at the Nile crocodiles lying deceptively immobile on the opposite bank, then glanced at her. “You take great risks, walking into the river with those beasts nearby.”
One of the animals twitched. Bek glared at it. The creature met his eyes for a second, then settled onto the sand.
“Oh, I’m not afraid. I’m protected.” She was busy folding the net and packing it into a compartment in the lid of her fish creel. She didn’t even spare a moment to consider the predators across the water.
He coughed to cover his instinctive laugh. “Protected? And exactly how are you warded against attack?”
She stood briskly, raised her chin and tugged an amulet free of her dress to show him. It was a small green stone crocodile hanging on a frayed black leather thong. “My great-grandmother was the last priestess of the temple on the bluff above.”
He indicated the amulet. “May I see it?”
The girl unlooped the cord from her neck and handed the necklace over. “Great-Grandmother told me the amulet was blessed by the Crocodile God himself and would protect me from his creatures.” Bek chuckled, holding the tiny figurine in his large meaty hand. “Mighty protection indeed.” He momentarily closed the pendant in his fist, then tossed it to her with a slight bow. “Nonetheless, you shouldn’t take such chances. Crocodiles are crafty and fierce.”
When she refastened the amulet the stone pendant fell between her shapely breasts. She unkilted her skirts and the simple dress fell to her ankles. As she bent to lift her basket of fish Bek put his hand atop hers on the handle. She gave him a wide-eyed glance but stepped aside to let him lift her burden.
“Thank you, sir. I’m going to sit in the shade and eat my dinner now.” She pointed at the nearby grove of palms. “Would you care to join me?”
“I’m not hungry, but I’ll sit if you don’t object. An hour of good conversation is a pleasant way to end the day.”
She peeked sideways at him while she walked. Eventually she smiled shyly. “I’m grateful for the company. My name is Merys.” She stood nearly as tall as him, unusual in a woman, but he found it distinctly attractive. Her face was lovely, oval and browned by the sun, which set off her sparkling black eyes. She was all lush curves and smooth skin—his cock stirred with lust but he restrained his arousal.
She seems to be an innocent maiden, of good family by her educated speech, not a woman to be lightly trifled with for an afternoon. He realized he was standing rooted to one spot, lost in admiration of her beauty. Shaking his head, he started walking again. “Call me Bek.”
“A propitious name for this place, if your naming was in tribute to the Crocodile God.” Merys slanted a look at him sideways and chuckled. “Are you a merchant? Is your ship anchored somewhere nearby?” Not waiting for an answer, she sank bonelessly under the tallest palm. Lifting a shawl that lay draped there across some wicker hampers, she pulled out a hard roll filled with dried meat.
Bek set the stinking fish creel on the sand well away from where he planned to sit, but safely in the shade. He lowered himself into a cross-legged position and leaned against the tree, hands clasped behind his neck. “I travel along the Nile quite often, yes.”
She blinked and raised her eyebrows. He hadn’t precisely answered either of her questions but she didn’t press the matter. “Did you come to see the temple ruins?”
He nodded. The truth, as far as it goes.


**INTERVIEW**

Tell us a little about your current release Priestess of the Nile.
Priestess of the Nile is a paranormal romance novella, set in Ancient Egypt, around 1500 BC and tells the story of Sobek the Crocodile God. Drawn to his abandoned temple on the banks of the Nile by an enchanting song, he’s even more captivated by the sight of the singer herself. Appearing to her as a man, he learns she is Merys, a descendant of his last priestess. Need I say Sobek finds her very appealing?

Merys is attracted to the handsome stranger too, who arouses passions in her that no man ever has. But with no dowry and no hope of ever leaving her village, she dares not dream of the future—or love.

Of course in the world of paranormal romance nothing can be uncomplicated and so the couple face many challenges along the way to a Happily Ever After.

Any upcoming projects you would like to tell us about?
I am working on several more Tales of the Nile in this connected series, which are
 in various stages of editing and submission. The next stories don’t feature Sobek and Merys but do have involvement by other Egyptian gods.

How do you keep in contact with your readers?   
Twitter is my all time favorite social media/vice/addiction/passion! If I’m not at the day job, you can catch up to me there. I also have a blog which I update several times a week and a Facebook page.


What is your favorite thing about this book?
I really enjoyed the growth in the Sobek character, since he starts out not really even liking humans that much – he operates on the grand scale, maintaining the Nile! And by the end he’s fallen in love, been touched by a child’s plight…learned so much. And of course I like the HEA!

What’s next for Veronica Scott?
I’ll keep writing more Tales of the Nile as long as readers enjoy them. Ancient Egypt is rich with opportunities for love and adventure, which are my two favorite ingredients. I also have a science fiction adventure coming out soon.

When did you begin your journey as an author and what pulled you in the direction of writing?
I’ve been writing since I was about seven because there were never enough books around that I wanted to read. So inevitably I started telling my own stories and never looked back! (I did, however, give up illustrating my books after the first attempt made it apparent I was NOT an artist!)

What is one thing you cut from the book that either you wish you had left in, or readers would like to hear about?
I didn’t really cut anything from the book, it’s pretty much all there on the page. I have received feedback from readers that they want to see more of Merys and Sobek’s life after the HEA.  I have a glimmer of an idea for a sequel revolving around their son. Have to let that simmer.

How do you celebrate when you finish a novel?
Copious quantities of chocolate are involved! And possibly a small shopping expedition….

Was there something in particular that gave you the idea for this book?
I’ve always been fascinated with Ancient Egypt and I’m writing a longer WIP set in this time. I researched Sobek the Crocodile God in connection with the other novel and became fascinated with his back story as a god. Additionally, I realized he fit our paranormal genre definition of a shifter, which started me thinking about romantic possibilities.

What about the hero and the heroine made you want to put them together?
I really pondered what kind of woman would appeal to a Crocodile God in his human form, would cause him to fall in love for the first time ever? Crocodiles are very sensitive to sound, so I felt that Merys’s beautiful singing would be what first attracts him, sight unseen, as well as the fact she enjoys singing the traditional songs he hasn’t heard in a long time. Merys is descended from a long line of priestesses, so she’s not afraid of him. She continues to do her best to keep the abandoned temple in some kind of order, which he appreciates, having been pushed aside by newer gods Then as he gets to know her, he starts to understand the feelings of a human heart...

Any advice you’d like to share for aspiring writers?
WRITE. Every day, no excuses! Don’t doubt yourself, don’t edit yourself prematurely, get the words ON the page (or in the hard drive). You’ll grow in your craft as you go along but if you don’t actually get the book written, none of all the exciting things about being a writer can ever happen.

What is one thing you know now that you wish you had known when you first started writing?
I had no idea how much time the promotion activities would take! I love doing the interviews and guest blogs but it’s hard to balance that and writing the next novel!

Salty or Sweet?
Sweet

What is your favorite drink?
Arizona Ice Tea Raspberry Flavor

What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas!

Boxers or briefs?
Briefs

E-reader or Paperback?
E-Reader

Caffeine or Decaf?
Caffeine

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
Introvert fascinated by Extroverts

Flowers or chocolate?
Flowers – roses or iris!

Do you have any phobias or fears?
SNAKES!

Are you a night person or morning person?
Morning person, fading as the day goes on

Fascinating answers! I hope you enjoyed the interview as much as I did. As a special treat, Ms. Scott has I included an exclusive excerpt of Priestess of the Nile. Check it out

**AUTHOR CHOSEN EXCERPT**

The sweet high note Merys held came to an end as she put a hand to her throat, then bent over the tiny waves. She searched along the riverbed, no longer focused on her song.
      A movement to the right caught his eye. What is the name of Set’s horns is that crocodile in the shallows doing? Is it actually swimming to attack her? Enraged, Bek threw himself down the trail at a breakneck speed.
      Merys stood carefully in one spot. She pushed her hair out of her eyes roughly and sighed in frustration, checking her neck one more time, not quite accepting the loss of her necklace. The slithering sensation against her skin as the old leather thong parted and the amulet fell had been so startling, she had not grabbed for it in time. Peering uselessly into the murk of the Nile, Merys blinked back tears. The only possession of bmy great-grandmother’s I had left, the symbol of my being a priestess—gone. I’ll wait for the silt to settle and then hopefully I can find it. Taking a moment to enjoy the soaring flight of a flock of white ibis against the blue sky, she stood straighter, easing her muscles. I envy them their freedom.
      The sky tilted and vertigo assailed her as her feet were violently yanked out from under her. A crocodile closed its mighty jaws around her ankle, ripping a desperate scream from her throat. The bone-crushing force sent a sheet of hot pain up her leg and through her body until adrenaline pulsed in her system. The beast dragged her under the surface of the Nile, pulling her toward the center of the river. Cold water rushed over her face, into her open mouth. Merys gagged, tried to hold her breath, beating on the animal’s closed jaws with her fists, then trying to jab at the nearest eye. Her stomach heaved, nausea and weakness from the intensity of the pain in her leg spreading outward from her gut.
      The crocodile rolled her over and over, tossing her like Tyema’s puppy with a rag doll. Black spots
danced before her eyes and she scrunched them tightly  closed against the dizziness. What do I do to get away before I drown? I have to breathe. My chest is going to explode. I’ve got to have air. Just as her lungs were bursting, something huge flashed by her in the water and struck the crocodile with enough force to shove it sideways a few feet against the current. The predator opened its jaws to deal with the threat and Merys floated free.
      A tiny hope of survival bloomed within her. A spurt of energy sizzled through her nerves, giving her
new strength. Kicking as hard as she could with the injured leg, heart pounding, Merys clawed her way to the surface. The water in her vicinity churned bright red. Something solid rose from the murky depths. Merys screamed and flailed, too weak to swim. A hard surface lay under her, lifting her completely out of the water, supporting her as if she were stretched out on a board or a raft. Thank the gods for helping me. Nausea and dizziness overwhelmed her and the world faded from her view.
      When Merys regained consciousness, she was held safe in Bek’s muscular arms, nestled against his broad chest. Too exhausted to question the miracle of his presence she curled closer to him in relief while he strode across the beach toward her favorite spot under the palm trees. Tenderly he laid her in the softest spot, then bent to examine her leg.
      Blood gushed from a long series of deep, serrated slashes, staining her dress as well as his hands and kilt. The crocodile’s teeth had shredded her lower leg from ankle to knee. The bone showed through. The pain was excruciating.
      Merys leaned to the side and vomited river water that burned her throat while Bek held her hair out of the way. As she wiped her mouth, exhausted, he pushed her gently to a reclining position. Chanting
something, he proceeded to run his hands over her legs. The pain spiked, then receded.
      What is he doing? Some kind of healing, but how?
      Green light shone from his hands, radiating from his palms in a cold, numbing rush. The light brought
blessed relief, mending her skin and bones in front of her eyes. Thank the gods.
      When he finished, Bek sat on his haunches, resting his hands on his thighs, and scrutinized her. His face was lined, his eyes shadowed. He was dripping wet.
      Another time I would have appreciated this view. But right now I need to understand what happened.
     “You saved me? How? How could you defeat a crocodile? And what did you do to my leg?” Wriggling her toes, Merys touched her shin hesitantly with the tips of her fingers. I’m safe in his arms. Her
pulse slowed. The weakness ebbed away as she relaxed.
      Bek gathered her in for a hug and she breathed deeply of his clean masculine scent. Crooning her
name over and over, he buried his face in her hair. Then he pulled back, framing her face with both of his broad hands, and met her eyes. “I thought I’d lost you.”
      She put a trembling hand on his cheek. “Who are you, Bek?”
     “Sobek.” He cleared his throat as he stroked her back with one hand. She realized her soaked dress
must be clinging to her as tightly as his wet tunic was plastered to his body. She leaned into the shelter of his mighty arms. Bek rested his lips next to her ear and whispered, “I am Sobek.”
      New adrenaline pumped through her, making her heart pound and sending a hot pulse along her nerves. “The Crocodile God?” I’ve been sitting and talking to the Great One all this time, treating him like a human man? I fell in love with him. How could I have been so blind? So stupid?
      “The Crocodile God himself?”
      “Yes.” He nodded, watching her closely, his green eyes steady on her face, his brows slightly raised. “I’m sorry I misled you.”

Awesome! So, what did you think of the interview? Do you have questions for Ms. Scott? Have you read the book and want to add anything? Go ahead and hit us up with whatever is on your mind. And here is a question from Ms. Scott for you to answer:

**QUESTION**
What’s your favorite era in history for a romantic story to take place?

Until next time readers …




1 comment:

I lurve comments! Say whatever is on your mind; just keep it respectful. I am always game for a conversation. :)