Reader’s Edyn

I always felt like I could do something more than just read. Finally, I have found both a creative outlet and a chance to do something meaningful with my reading. This blog was created in appreciation of and tribute to all of the authors who have brought me joy through their books. These reviews are my way of giving back to authors and providing recognition for the hard work that each one completes every day!

Friday, November 30, 2012

Recipe: Pumpkin Brownies

Pumpkin Brownies



What I Thought:
Great brownies and a wonderful way to use up the whole wheat flour I had sitting from another recipe. The brownies are not sweet at all. Maybe just a slight bit of sweetness for people sensitive to that kind of thing, but for me ~ a lover of all things sweet ~ they weren’t sweet at all. However, this type of snack is nice to have around when you need a break from the sweetness. Very moist and tasty.

Changes I Made:
I am not a big fan of nuts in recipes so I omitted the walnuts.

I did not have buttermilk, so I used ¼ cup milk and 2 tsp. lemon juice then let it sit for a few minute before adding it to the mixture.

I used 2 eggs. Not a fan of egg substitute unless I have it in the house for something else already.

Tips:
If you want to add a little sweet to this recipe, I highly recommend the cream cheese icing featured in the spiced pumpkin cupcakes recipe posted yesterday.



Yield: 24 bars           Units: US | Metric

Ingredients: 
1 cup pumpkin puree, canned or cooked
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil, such as canola
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs, well beaten (further reduce fat & cholesterol by substituting 1 egg + 1 egg
   white, or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Coat a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with vegetable spray.
3. Combine all ingredients and beat well.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
5. Cool on a wire rack; cut into bars.

Original Link Found At:    Food.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I lurve comments! Say whatever is on your mind; just keep it respectful. I am always game for a conversation. :)