Reader’s Edyn

I always felt like I could do something more than just read. Finally, I have found both a creative outlet and a chance to do something meaningful with my reading. This blog was created in appreciation of and tribute to all of the authors who have brought me joy through their books. These reviews are my way of giving back to authors and providing recognition for the hard work that each one completes every day!

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Spotlight: Palace Hills by S. Briones Lim



**Palace Hills by S. Briones Lim**


Good morning everyone! I thought it was time to weave a new post into the several make up posts I have been completing lately. I am super excited to find out about not only a new book, but also a new author ~ at least to me anyway. I hope that you all enjoy getting to know a little about Palace Hills. It sounds like a pretty interesting series because it has a little bit of everything – suspense, mystery, intrigue, romance. It was enough to catch my interest anyway. Please allow me to introduce to the blog:



**S. BRIONES LIM**


**BIO**

Thanks to her Mom’s unwavering devotion to read a childhood bedtime story to her every single night, S. BRIONES LIM’s love for books began before she could even speak.
Raised in Southern California, Lim initially dreamt of becoming an artist. After a Psychology Degree (Summa cum Laude), a stint in Art School, and a career in Advertising/Media she is finally diving back into her first love – books. As a self-renowned bookworm, Lim’s love for reading has inspired her to pen her own novels and hopes her readers will fall in love with her stories as much as she enjoys writing them.
Her obsessions include time with family, Cherry Coke, popcorn with jalapeños, watching movies and her dogs, Tobi and Roscoe. She currently lives in Virginia with her husband.
 To find out more about Ms. Lim, please visit:




**PALACE HILLS**
By reading any further, you are stating that you are at least 18 years of age.
If you are under the age of 18, please exit this site.


**BLURB**

Palace Hills. The very name struck shivers down the spine of the affluent city of Goldendale.

Unfortunately, eighteen-year-old Nina Sharman has no choice but to call the poverty-stricken neighborhood her new home.

Life seems bleak until a chance meeting with Conner Hale changes her mind and captures her heart, leading her to believe that maybe Palace Hills wasn’t so bad after all.

However, one tragic case of mistaken identity changes everything and leads to an event so horrifying that Nina believes she could never recover.

Choosing to leave Conner behind, Nina vows never to return to Palace Hills again.

Five years later, Nina has a new home, a new boyfriend and a new life. Yet, still haunted by the ghosts of her past, Nina finds she must return to Palace Hills to put an end to a nightmare, which has haunted her for years.

Upon her return, one vital slip in judgement threatens to bring the life she had worked so hard to build to come crashing down.
 

Buy Links







**EXCERPT**

The blazing sun hit my pale skin, warming me to my core. I stayed seated on the low steps to our (old) new two bedroom ranch, and propped my elbows against the splintered wooden steps. The navy blue paint had faded and chipped away in some parts, creating a dirtied look. It was a far cry from our  penthouse  in  the  city, but  I  guess  it  could  have been worse.

With closed eyes, I leaned my head back and drank in the   sun’s   rays,   trying   to forget everything for once, when I heard, “Hey!”

I opened my eyes and noticed a boy about my age motioning to me.  He was pretty tall and nicely built, with the most striking blue eyes. Even from where I sat I could make out the iciness of his irises. They were the prettiest eyes I’d ever seen and looked like two circles of frost beneath a border of dark lashes. I gazed at him, probably looking extremely stupid. I didn’t move and quietly took in the clenching of his jaw muscles and the flexing of his biceps as he waved his arms, trying to get my attention. He took a baseball cap off his head and rubbed his hand over his buzzed hair, looking exasperated.

“What?” I yelled back, finally finding my voice. I shook my head slightly, feeling embarrassed for checking him out.

“Can   you   get   me   my ball?” There was a bossy edge to his tone that I didn’t like. It reminded me of the boys I went to school with at Goldendale Prep. They always felt entitled to things they didn’t deserve—those arrogant bastards.

The boy leaned against our fence looking completely bored. I blinked and looked around, noticing a bright orange basketball sitting a few feet away from me. It was nestled in the browning grass that surrounded our little abode. I pushed myself from the rickety   steps   and   walked over to the ball. I stopped a few inches in front of it and in melodramatic flair, bent over and slowly picked it up. Smirking, I called out, "What’s the magic word?” 

The boy rolled his eyes and shook his head. “Just give me the ball. I’m late!”

“I’m not giving it to you until you say the magic word!” I shot back.

“Fine!” he groaned. Through gritted teeth he said, “Stop being a bitch! Now give it to me!” He grinned at me as if he was oh so pleased with himself.

My mouth dropped open in shock. Angrily, I dropped the ball and placed my right foot on top. I grabbed for the pocket of my pastel yellow shorts and pulled out a black pocket knife. As the boy watched in horror, I flipped the knife open and leaned over, stabbing the ball with the pointed edge. The orange ball quickly deflated, looking like a blob underneath my foot.
https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

Haha! Well played! So what do you think? It was enough to spark my interest! The excerpt is a small one and seems like it could be set very early in the book, so it is hard to say what it would be like later on and that is where I depend on all of you. Time to brain pick. What did you guys think? Is this story something you would read? What did you like best about the featured book? Have you read Ms. Lim’s books before? I welcome all comments. Your feedback is always wanted.  I hope you all enjoyed your time here today and thank you for choosing to spend part of your day with us. 

As always, buy links are included in the post. If you are so inclined, purchase the book for yourself. There is no better way to support an author. I would like to thank each and every one of you for joining us today. I would also like to thank Ms. Lim for being here with us today.  I hope you all had a blast getting to know a bit about Ms. Lim and her book, Palace Hills. Wishing you all a fabulous day. Until next time …

HAPPY READING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I lurve comments! Say whatever is on your mind; just keep it respectful. I am always game for a conversation. :)