Reader’s Edyn

I always felt like I could do something more than just read. Finally, I have found both a creative outlet and a chance to do something meaningful with my reading. This blog was created in appreciation of and tribute to all of the authors who have brought me joy through their books. These reviews are my way of giving back to authors and providing recognition for the hard work that each one completes every day!

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Recipe: Berry Crumble Pie

Berry Crumble Pie


What I Thought:
I found this recipe because I had a huge bag of mixed berries in the freezer and they weren’t getting used. I thawed half of the bag and used them for this pie. I believe it was a boysenberry, blueberry, raspberry mix. The pie was very good and super easy to make. Not very sweet, which was nice because some of the fruit pies I have had are crazy sweet. Add a dollop od cool whip and you are good to go.

Changes I Made:
None. I followed this recipe exactly.

Tips:
I set the berries out frozen to thaw and pre-measured them. I would say to use more like 6 cups if measuring frozen to make enough after they are thawed.
I was worried about the filling because it did not thicken up like I expected it to. But it came out perfect after baking it. So if it seems runny at first, do not worry. It will be okay.
Ice cream would be good to try as well and I will likely try that next time, but the cool whip was perfect too. Either one would be a nice touch depending on what you have on hand.



Yield: 1 pie              Units: US | Metric


Need:

1 9 inch deep dish pie crust


Filling Ingredients: 

4 cups berries (thawed if frozen)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 dash salt

Topping Ingredients:

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions:
1.     Preheat oven to 375.
2.     Mix topping ingredients together, stirring in the melted butter last, and set aside.
3.     Cook all the filling ingredients EXCEPT the berries on medium, whisking frequently, until it is well blended and thick (5-7 minutes).
4.     Remove filling from heat and stir in berries.
5.     Pour filling into pie crust (don't poke the crust with a fork).
6.     Crumble topping over filling, completely covering it (no berries showing through).
7.     Place pie on a cookie sheet and bake on middle rack of oven for 45 minutes or until done.
8.     Let cool for at least 10 minutes, and serve. Optionally, top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.


Original Link Found At:    Food.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I lurve comments! Say whatever is on your mind; just keep it respectful. I am always game for a conversation. :)