Reader’s Edyn

I always felt like I could do something more than just read. Finally, I have found both a creative outlet and a chance to do something meaningful with my reading. This blog was created in appreciation of and tribute to all of the authors who have brought me joy through their books. These reviews are my way of giving back to authors and providing recognition for the hard work that each one completes every day!

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Recipe: Very Chocolate Chip Brownies

Very Chocolate Chip Brownies


What I Thought:
Well, at least these are prettier than my last attempt at a lemon meringue pie … and while thee turned out alright, I botched this recipe also.

My problem is that I keep forgetting that I live in snow country now which equals a higher elevation. What that translates to is that I generally have to cook things just a bit longer. And with my baking (i.e. cakes and brownie-type things) I have to add roughly ½ cup of extra flour to the batter. Well, forgot that this time around.

I ended up with fudge in the middle of the pan and slightly crispy edges. The edges poofed up and stayed up while the fudgy center fell back down. The good thing I that the kids loved it anyway. The ones who like crunchy got their crunch and the one who like gooey got their goop. *face palm* Meanwhile I am cringing in the corner upset for forgetting such a simple step.

But! I liked this recipe because it was super easy. Throw it in a saucepan. Melt it together. Add the dry ingredients and dump it in a pan. Simple. I also like that melted chocolate was used instead of cocoa powder. Seems like the consistency is silkier when the first is used over the later.


Changes I Made:
None ~ I followed the recipe exactly.


Tips:
Do NOT forget to add about ½ cup of flour if you live in the high country like I do.
For some people, adding chocolate chips may be a bit too much. These brownies are very rich simply because you add melted chocolate to the batter. So omitting the added chips would still be yummy. But for chocolate lovers, don’t skimp. *wink*
People who love nuts would probably like to add ½ cup to 1 cup nuts to the batter. My favorite is pecans so the next time I make these, I will be adding both flour and pecans. Update will follow when I try it again.



Yield: 36 servings              Units: US | Metric


Filling Ingredients: 

1-1/2 cups Imperial Sugar® / Dixie Crystals® Granulated Sugar
2/3 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup water
4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Confectioners' sugar

Directions:

1.     In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, butter and water; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in 2 cups chocolate chips until melted. Cool slightly.
2.     In a large bowl, beat eggs and vanilla; stir in chocolate mixture. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture, mixing well. Stir in remaining chocolate chips.
3.     Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
4.     Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. 

Original Link Found At:    Tasteofhome.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I lurve comments! Say whatever is on your mind; just keep it respectful. I am always game for a conversation. :)