Reader’s Edyn

I always felt like I could do something more than just read. Finally, I have found both a creative outlet and a chance to do something meaningful with my reading. This blog was created in appreciation of and tribute to all of the authors who have brought me joy through their books. These reviews are my way of giving back to authors and providing recognition for the hard work that each one completes every day!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Review: Enticed by His Forgotten Lover (Pregnancy & Passion #1) by Maya Banks




Title: Enticed by His Forgotten Lover
            (Pregnancy & Passion #1)
Author: Maya Banks
Release Date: September 6, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin
Category: Contemporary Romance/Series
Type: Kindle/Paperback





Book Blurb:

"Have we met?"

Answer: a right hook! Because Bryony Morgan pulls no punches. Even when she's very pregnant and facing down the father of her unborn child. She fell for wealthy hotelier Rafael de Luca when he courted her for her beachfront real estate. Then he disappeared. Now, she's in New York for answers—and she won't accept a brush–off.

But selective amnesia after a crash has Rafael puzzled. How could he ever forget a combustible beauty like Bryony? Solution: return to the island where they met, and relive the unforgettable nights in question—until he remembers everything…

Book Excerpt:

The woman didn’t pretend to be coy. She stared straight at him and as he approached, her chin thrust upward in a gesture of defiance that intrigued him.

For a moment he stood in front of her, studying the delicate lines of her face and wondering if in fact this was their first meeting. Surely he would have remembered.

“Excuse me, but have we met?” he asked in his smoothest voice, one that he knew to be particularly effective on women.

Likely she’d titter and then deny such a meeting. Or she’d blatantly lie and try to convince him that they’d spent a wonderful night in bed. Which he knew couldn’t be true, because she wasn’t his type.

His gaze settled over the generous swell of her breasts pushed up by the empire waist of her black cocktail dress. The rest of the dress fell in a swirl to her knees and twitched with sudden impatience.

She did none of the things he’d supposed. When he glanced back up at her face, he saw fury reflected in the dark pools of her eyes.

 Met? Have we met?” Her voice was barely above a whisper, but he felt each word like the crack of a whip. “You sorry bastard!”

Before he could process the shock of her outburst she nailed him with a right hook. He stumbled back, holding his nose.

“Son of a—”

Before he could demand to know if she’d lost her damn mind, one of his guards stepped between him and the woman, and in the confusion accidentally sent her reeling backward. She stumbled and went down on one knee, her hand automatically flying to the folds of her dress.

It was then, as she cupped her belly, that the realization hit him. The folds had hidden the gentle curve of her body. Had hidden her pregnancy and the evidence of a child.

His guard went to roughly haul her to her feet. “No!” Rafael roared. “She’s pregnant. Do not hurt her!”

His guard stepped back, his startled gaze going to Rafael. The woman wasted no time scrambling to her feet. Her eyes flashing, she turned and ran down the marble hallway, her heels tapping a loud staccato as she fled.

Favorite Dialogue:

“I want to make love to you, Bryony, but I want it to be for the right reasons. I want you to know I want you for the right reasons. Right now I couldn’t care less about the past or that I do or don’t remember. What I know is that right here, right now, I want to touch you and kiss you more than I want anything else.”

As gracefully as she could manage when her hands and legs were shaking, she got off his lap to stand before him. Then she reached down for his hand and slid her fingers through his.

“I want you, too,” she said simply. “I’ve missed you so much, Rafe.”

He rose unsteadily, his eyes dark and vibrant with desire. His usually calm composure seemed shaken and he raised a trembling hand to her cheek.

“Be sure of this, Bryony. Whatever happens today, whatever has happened in the past, what I remember or don’t remember – it’s not going to matter if you give yourself to me again. Now. If we do this now, we’re starting over. New page. Fresh beginning.”

She rubbed her cheek over his hand and closed her eyes. ”I’d like that. No past. Just today. Here and now. You and me.”

Review:

You’d think after the above dialogue everything would be hunky-dory between Rafe and Bryony, right? Not quite. Just when you think things may be on the brink of resolution, Banks yanks the HEA rug out from under the reader’s … err … eyes. This HEA is not wrapped up pretty with a bow. Rafe and Bryony have only two options: work for a happy ending, or give up the possibility altogether and move on.

Enticed by His Forgotten Lover is the first Maya Banks book I have read. I was unsure what to expect, having read many mixed reviews surrounding her different works. I began reading with a bit of caution, but soon found that there was no need. This book was pleasant and enjoyable despite the difficulty in reaching the HEA. Hey, difficult HEAs are not always a bad thing. This book is the first in the Pregnancy & Passion series and although a pregnancy is a key factor in the story, Banks was able to construct a story that did not revolve entirely around the baby. I am all for the baby/family angle, but there is such a thing as overkill. I never felt like Banks took the pregnancy angle too far.

Rafael is a helluva piece of work. Not only does Bryony face constantly conflicting emotions where Rafe is concerned, the reader also journey’s through a love/hate relationship with Rafe. Do we like him, is he just a victim, is he the ass that he is reputed to be, does he really want a future with Bryony, does he have an alternate motivation, what is his deal? These are the types of questions I was asking myself throughout the whole story. Bryony, on the other hand, may be just a bit too trusting. She finds herself between a rock and a hard place: wanting to trust Rafe, but wary of past hurts he has inflicted. I felt that both characters behaved in a believable manner and found myself relating to many of Bryony’s dreams and responses.

Overall, Enticed by His Forgotten Lover was an enjoyable quick read. Those of you who prefer to have the HEA handed to you on a platter may become frustrated with this book, but I still say it is worth the read. Some may dislike the amnesia aspect, and others may avoid baby angles to stories. However, I feel like Banks did a great job with all components tied together. I am fairly confident that many will find this book enjoyable even with a few possible red flags based on preference. The bottom line is that romance needs conflict to work and this book has plenty.

(book won on Twitter contest hosted by author.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I lurve comments! Say whatever is on your mind; just keep it respectful. I am always game for a conversation. :)