Reader’s Edyn

I always felt like I could do something more than just read. Finally, I have found both a creative outlet and a chance to do something meaningful with my reading. This blog was created in appreciation of and tribute to all of the authors who have brought me joy through their books. These reviews are my way of giving back to authors and providing recognition for the hard work that each one completes every day!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Recipe: Best Pumpkin Cookies

Best Pumpkin Cookies

I apologize for this lame pic. My kids snatched all of these up before
I had a chance to get a good shot of them.


What I Thought:
These cookies are fabulous! But they are a bit sweet so for a lot of people I would say the icing is not necessary as you can eat them without it. My kids loved the icing so I did half with and half without.


Changes I Made:
None. I followed this recipe exactly.

Tips:
The icing did harden quickly as indicated in the directions. Definitely keep the icing over low heat and whisk constantly to keep from crusting over on the top.

I also think the icing would be better as a thin glaze. It turned out a bit thick which added a lot of sweetness that wasn't needed. Next time I will try thinning it out a bit.

Discard any remaining glaze. It hardens and cannot be reused.



Yield: 48 cookies           Units: US | Metric

Ingredients: 
1 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Penuche Glaze Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2-2 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Have ready some ungreased baking sheets.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and the sugars together until light and
    fluffy.
4. Blend in pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract.
5. In separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and
    salt.
6. Mix flour mixture into butter-sugar mixture.
7. Drop tablespoonfuls 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
8. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until golden around the edges.
9. Remove warm cookies and transfer to racks.
10. Let cool completely for a least one half hour, then frost with glaze.

For Glaze:
In a medium saucepan, heat butter and brown sugar over medium heat until bubbly. Cook, stirring constantly, for one minute or until slightly thickened. Beat in the milk. Blend in confectioner's sugar until the glaze is smooth and spreadable. Using a silicone basting brush, which I love and use religiously now, or a butter knife to spread glaze on cookies is the best tip. Please note; this glaze will harden fairly quickly. I suggest that you keep the saucepan over the stove on the lowest heat possible to prevent it from hardening.

Original Link Found At:    Food.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I lurve comments! Say whatever is on your mind; just keep it respectful. I am always game for a conversation. :)