Reader’s Edyn

I always felt like I could do something more than just read. Finally, I have found both a creative outlet and a chance to do something meaningful with my reading. This blog was created in appreciation of and tribute to all of the authors who have brought me joy through their books. These reviews are my way of giving back to authors and providing recognition for the hard work that each one completes every day!

Monday, December 31, 2012

Recipe: Double Whammy Eggnog Cookies

Double Whammy Eggnog Cookies



What I Thought:
These are super good and really easy. The best part is that you can make the dough ahead of time. If you freeze it in an airtight container you can make it up to 2 months ahead of time. The frosting is super yummy, but quite sweet. However, the cookies are somewhat bland so paired with the frosting, they are a very good balance and not too overwhelming. But I did the like the cookies plain right out of the oven while they were still hot. Once they cool, they are better with the frosting. The kids and DH ate the heck out of these. DH is not a fan of sweets so for him to eat them, that says a lot.


Changes I Made:
I followed this recipe exactly with the exception of the egg yolks. I cannot stand to waste when I cook, so I use two whole eggs instead of 4 egg yolks.

The eggnog I used was the Safeway brand found in the dairy case.


Tips:
I think that the next time I make these cookies I will make a double batch and roll them into balls, or scoop them into ice cube trays to freeze prior to sealing them in airtight containers. That way they will be ready to go and all I have to do it pop them in the over with a couple of additional minutes of cooking time.
I was also thinking that due to the mild taste of the cookies without the icing, they would be a good accompaniment to tea. Even setting them out and allowing them to harden a bit so that they could be dipped in the tea. I will give this a try next time around as well.



Yield: 48 Cookies              Units: US | Metric




Ingredients: 

1-1/3 cups butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
4 egg yolks
2 tablespoons eggnog
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
3 cups all-purpose flour



Frosting Ingredients:

4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 teaspoons rum extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 to 3 tablespoons eggnog
Additional ground nutmeg


Directions:

1.       In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, eggnog and extract. Gradually beat in flour. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours.
  1. Shape into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 13-16 minutes or until bottoms are brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
  2. In a large bowl, beat the first five frosting ingredients until blended; beat in enough eggnog to reach desired consistency. Spread over cookies; sprinkle with additional nutmeg. Let stand until set.
  3. Store in airtight containers.

Original Link Found At:    TasteOfHome.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I lurve comments! Say whatever is on your mind; just keep it respectful. I am always game for a conversation. :)