Reader’s Edyn

I always felt like I could do something more than just read. Finally, I have found both a creative outlet and a chance to do something meaningful with my reading. This blog was created in appreciation of and tribute to all of the authors who have brought me joy through their books. These reviews are my way of giving back to authors and providing recognition for the hard work that each one completes every day!

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Interview with author L C Wilkinson

Interview with author L C Wilkinson



Welcome back. Moving on to part 2 of 4, I now have an interview to share with you with L C Wilkinson. This author is new to me, but I liked the idea of her book. As I mention later on, it is more common for the men to be older than the women in romance stories. However, in this book the roles are reversed and the female lead is older. I believe that this component, paired with the grossly different backgrounds could add quite a lot to this story. I hope that you all enjoy this interview as much as I did in creating this post. It was a lot of fun! Please allow me to introduce to the blog:



**L C WILKINSON**


**BIO**

I grew up in north Wales and now I live by the sea in Brighton with three fellas (my ginger sons and my husband) and a cat called Sheila. After many years working as a journalist, copywriter and editor of hagsharlotsheroines.com, I write fiction and work part-time as an editor for Cornerstones Literary Consultancy. All of Me is my first romance for Xcite. I hope that it is the first of many.

To find out more about L. C. visit her site – www.lcwilkinson.com – for news and freebies. Or follow her on Twitter: @ScorpioScribble






**ALL OF ME**
 





**BLURB**

Actress Flick Burrow’s career is in the doldrums. Dumped by long-term boyfriend at the altar and nudging forty she escapes to Italy touring with a theatrical company.

Orlando Locatelli is a successful businessman. He’s rich, clever and drop-dead gorgeous.

When the two meet, the attraction is instant. But Orlando is 15 years Flick’s junior; he’s the controlling director’s son; his stepmother is possessive and destructive. He’s trouble and he’s determined to have her.

Sparks fly when a tour romance turns into something altogether more dangerous, threatening to reveal pasts, and desires, both lovers are keen to bury.

All of Me is published by Xcite in paperback and e-book formats.


Buy Links


 

**INTERVIEW**

How has your life changed since becoming published?
On a day to day level, very little. I still get up, get the kids to school, then park myself in front of a laptop and write, or edit my own and other people’s work. It has been lovely to interact with readers since publication and I do speak at events and read my work at salons and literary gatherings and so forth now, which is a difference.

Sounds very busy! But as long as what you are doing is what you love, I am sure the time flies! What is your typical day like?
As I work part-time in a school on literacy projects I’ll talk about a typical writing day. I prefer to get admin type tasks out of the way before I turn to more creative endeavours (I know many authors who are the exact opposite to this!) so first off I deal with my emails, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn business and check in on my blog and a few others. The time spent on this varies as you’d imagine, but I am disciplined about how long I spend on social media before I’ve bagged at least a half decent word count – it’s wonderful to interact with readers and other writers this way, but it can be such a time gobbler. Once this is done I return to my WIP. First off, I read over and edit the previous day’s work and then continue with the scene or chapter I’m working on. I prefer to stop at a point when I am desperate to carry on as a way of avoiding the dreaded blank page. I don’t really hold with writer’s block – writers write; they don’t wait for the muse to descend – but it is easier to begin when you know exactly where you want to go next. I’ll break when I feel I need to but I do always aim to get down at least 1,000 words down each day. Sometimes less, sometimes more, but that’s my ball park. If I’ve an editing job on (I work as an editor freelance and for Cornerstones Literary Consultancy) I’ll spend some time working on that too before returning to check my email and catch up on Twitter or Facebook again. Phew, that was rather long. Sorry!

LOL. No worries. I like the “time gobbler” description. It is that at the very least. Tell us a little about your current release All of Me.
It’s an erotic romance about a middle-aged actress with a stalling career and a beautiful, young Italian restauranteur. Their paths cross when Flick tours Italy in a production of Oscar Wilde’s The Importance of Being Earnest. What begins as a fling turns into something altogether more serious and dangerous for the two lovers. Both have secrets from their past that they’d prefer to keep hidden, but passion is hard to stop and can be revealing…

Sounds somewhat suspenseful. Generally I find the men to be older than the women so it is nice to see the roles reversed for a change. Any upcoming projects you would like to tell us about?
At present I’m playing around with various ideas for a sequel to All of Me while writing another, completely new, romance. I have ideas to follow Flick and Orlando to New York, where Flick is working on a US TV series and where new pressures on their fledgling romance might take their toll. The new romance is set in rural Wales and is about a troubled, grieving young woman and a man hiding from his enemies, trying to reinvent himself.

Sounds interesting. I wish you luck in your new WIPs. How do you keep in contact with your readers?
I’ve a blog and I check in regularly on Twitter, Facebook and Goodreads. Live events are terrifying but great fun because they offer a chance to connect with potential readers and meet existing ones face to face and there’s still nothing to beat that.

I can imagine. I can't wait to have the chance to meet some of the authors I have been in touch with via FB and Twitter. What is your favorite thing about this book?
The characters. Predictable, perhaps but I do really love Flick and Orlando, and Johnnie – Flick’s best friend - is a fave too.

What’s next for All of Me?
There’s talk of a full US print release; Xcite are negotiating with distributors at present I believe, so I’ve got my fingers (and toes) crossed. That would be so exciting and a dream come true, to enter the US market.

Fabulous! I hope it moves quickly! What is one thing you cut from the book that either you wish you had left in, or readers would like to hear about?
The first draft was too long for the genre and so prior to submission I decided to cut one of the story threads and alter another which related to it. In that first draft there was a mafia strand with hints that Orlando’s father, the director of the play, had connections with darker, criminal elements in Italian society. He is a shady character and there is still an element of mystery surrounding him, but I removed all direct references and trimmed a number of scenes. To be honest, I think that the book is stronger without them, because this sub-plot was somewhat underdeveloped and Orlando’s past is smudged enough without adding that complication too! I’m working on a sequel so it’s something that I might include then. Who knows. It’s still very much at the ‘in development’ stage.

Wow! That is quite a lot. Maybe, as you say, you will have a chance to use it in the future. What about Orlando and Flick made you want to put them together?
Flick comes from a disadvantaged background and has fought for her success all the way, whereas Orlando was born into a wealthy, privileged family. However, he is not spoilt and has had his fair share of obstacles to overcome, but their life experiences are very different.

Which adds another level to the story. They do say that opposites attract. :) Any advice you’d like to share for aspiring writers?
Read, read, read. And especially in your chosen genre. And write a lot. It’s a craft and practice is the best way to master it.

I agree. I would think that practice is key and that mastering is seldom acquired, but more so a goal to work towards for, well, always. Tell us one thing that readers wouldn’t know about you.
I broke the school long jump record when I was twelve. It was the first time I’d ever done a jump, having been forced into the event because no one else in the class wanted to do it.

But you made a new record! How fabulous! What is one thing you know now that you wish you had known when you first started writing?
That it never gets easier. I’ve written four novels (I write women’s fiction under another name too) and before I began the second, third, fourth, I wondered how on earth I’d managed to write a 100,000 words plus the last time. And there’s always something to worry about: publication, sales figures, publicity, the next book… I love it, though and wouldn’t do anything else. I feel that I’ve been so lucky.

I oftentimes wonder how authors keep thinking of new things. I would probably run out in no time flat … so I blog and review. :) If you could travel back in time, where would you go and who would you meet?
Britain during the time of the Roman invasion – the lands of the Iceni people in particular. I’ve been fascinated by warrior queens since I was small, especially Boudica; though I’m sure my notions about her are ridiculously romantic and I would find the whole experience terrifying. I’m a total coward and abhor violence.

What an interesting thing to be fascinated by when you are young. No doubt you may end up writing a book with such components. Yes? Do you have any other hobbies or interests besides writing?
Well, I’ve two boys as well as the writing, editing and part-time job so free time is limited. I do love movies – French films are favourites – and getting together with friends over dinner or a bottle of wine.

I remember when I had only two boys. That feels like a long time ago. I have since added to the troops … a lot. I have to really want to see a movie, otherwise I find myself sitting there thinking about the book I could be reading. :) Salty or Sweet?
Sweet.

As it should be. What is your favorite drink?
Crisp, chilled white wine.

Refreshing. What is your favorite holiday?
Somewhere hot.

Ha! Two different meanings of holiday. But this works as well. There is vacationing hot and there is vacationing hot. I think you would not prefer where I used to live. 120 was the average day in the summer and the night never went below 100. Ugh! Favorite place you have ever visited?
New York.

I would love to visit there … mostly to see the shows. Favorite childhood memory?
A camping holiday on Shell Island, north Wales, during a long, hot summer.

Sounds fun! Boxers or briefs?
Boxers.

E-reader or Paperback?
Paperback.

Exactly! Long hair or short hair on a guy?
Depends on the guy. Brad Pitt works both, for example.

Good point! Who is your favorite fictional character ever?
Emma Woodhouse (from Jane Austen’s Emma).

Flowers or chocolate?
Flowers.

Most choose chocolate. Nice to see someone show the poor flowers some love. :)

Now how about a little taste of ALL OF ME?


 

**EXCERPT**
By reading any further you are stating you are at least 18 years of age.
If you are under the age of 18, it is necessary for you to exit this site.

Mr Hot led me through to a brightly lit room, the light scorching my eyes after near darkness. He pulled up a wooden stool and gestured for me to sit. I did as I was instructed. Row upon row of bottles of oil, condiments, herbs and spices lined shelves that covered an entire wall. It was a store cupboard, and the strip lighting was harsh; every fine line, blemish and open pore would be visible. Inwardly, I cursed my lack of foundation once more. I felt exposed, stripped right down, and vulnerable. I shielded my eyes, allowing my hand to drop low enough to conceal most of my face.
‘Better here, fewer people. Can I get you a drink? Cup of tea?’ he said.
‘Something stronger might be better.’ I attempted to cover my embarrassment with humour. He did not laugh, or even smile. ‘Water would be great. Wouldn’t do to be seen drunk. Imagine what they’d make of that,’ I added quickly.
Through a gap in my fingers I watched him push open swing doors with considerable force and sashay out, revealing the bustle of a hectic lunchtime kitchen; he barked out an instruction in a language I couldn’t quite place. Italian probably, possibly Spanish. This was no ordinary waiter in more ways than one. He returned moments later.
Despite his blistering good looks, or maybe because of them, I wanted to get the hell out of there; I gulped down the water. ‘Thank you. Can you show me the other way out now please?’
‘It’s not too soon?’
‘I have to be somewhere.’
At the exit, he paused and looked into my eyes, the hazel fading to black as his pupils dilated. He ran his tongue over those sensual lips. I couldn’t breathe and for a moment I thought I might pass out. The attraction I’d felt was mutual; he was devouring me with his gaze; his desire was palpable. Had it been a movie, or an episode of the cheap drama I’d been in, we’d have thrown ourselves at each other, kissed passionately, before being interrupted by an angry chef brandishing a meat knife. I coughed; it broke the spell.
He leant forward to grab the door handle, the bouquet of his aftershave mingling with a distinct, very masculine aroma. I was soooo tempted, but this was real life, and my personal life was enough of a mess. He opened the door, leant forward to look up and down the street before turning back to me and nodding that it was clear. Neither of us knew what to say. I had no idea if he knew, understood, or even cared why the press were hounding me, and I wasn’t inclined to explain.
I held out my hand. ‘Thank you. You saved my life.’
He took my hand, but rather than shaking it, as I had intended, he lifted it to his mouth and kissed the back. A charge raced up my arm, exploding in my mouth and groin. ‘It was nothing. Anyone would have done the same.’
‘Thanks anyway,’ I gasped. I had to get out of there, and quick. My internal red light was flashing: danger, danger, danger.
I stepped into the street and, unsure which direction to take, turned right and walked; the skin on my hand still thrumming from the touch of his lips. I wanted to look back, and tried desperately to resist the urge. After a few metres, I gave up and turned my head. There was no sign of him.




Sounds like a heck of a beginning. There is no doubt of the attraction between the two. So tell me what you though. Would you be likely to read this book? Hat do you prefer when reading about couples? Do you like the male lead to be older, or vice versa? Your feedback is always welcome so please feel free to leave a comment below. I value your opinions.

I would like to thank Ms. Wilkinson for spending some time with us today and for taking the time to answer the interview questions. I hope she had as much fun as I did with them. If you were intrigued by what you experienced here today, I hope that you will consider purchasing a copy of this book for yourself; or at the very least, adding i to your TBR list. We need to support our authors in order to ensure more reading pleasure in the future.

I hope that you all enjoyed your time spend here today. Thanks so much for stopping in. Be sure to check out my other posts today. There will be a lot of them. I wish everyone a wonderful rest of your day. I will see you soon ... quite literally ... until then ...
HAPPY READING!!!




 
Click for tour schedule

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me; I really enjoyed your interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome. I am thrilled that you had fun!

      Delete

I lurve comments! Say whatever is on your mind; just keep it respectful. I am always game for a conversation. :)