Reader’s Edyn

I always felt like I could do something more than just read. Finally, I have found both a creative outlet and a chance to do something meaningful with my reading. This blog was created in appreciation of and tribute to all of the authors who have brought me joy through their books. These reviews are my way of giving back to authors and providing recognition for the hard work that each one completes every day!

Monday, September 2, 2013

Interview with author Melissa Bourbon Ramirez

Interview with author Melissa Bourbon Ramirez




Hey all! After fighting the monsoon weather and loosing connectivity about a zillion times, I have finally gotten the final post up that was missed from when I was very ill. I thought it would never go live and I was about to give up. But I prevailed. Weeeee! I am so sorry that it is crazy late and that we all missed the giveaway, but at least I still can take this opportunity to tell you about this great book. I hope you all enjoy getting to know about Ms. Ramirez and her book right along with me. Please join me in welcoming to the blog:



**MELISSA BOURBON RAMIREZ**


**BIO**

Melissa Bourbon, who sometimes answers to her Latina-by-marriage name Misa Ramirez, gave up teaching middle and high school kids in Northern California to write full-time amidst horses and Longhorns in North Texas. She fantasizes about spending summers writing in quaint, cozy locales, has a love/hate relationship with yoga and chocolate, is devoted to her family, and can’t believe she’s lucky enough to be living the life of her dreams.

She is the Marketing Director with Entangled Publishing, is the founder of Books on the House, the co-founder of The Naked Hero, and is the author of the Lola Cruz Mystery series with St. Martin’s Minotaur and Entangled Publishing, and A Magical Dressmaking Mystery series with NAL. She also has two romantic suspense novels, and is the co-author of The Tricked-out Toolbox, all to be released in 2012/2013.

You can find out more about Ms. Ramirez in the following places:




**CURSE OF PASSION**
 

Publication Date: August 12, 2013



**BLURB**
 
The ghost of la Llorona is said to haunt the riverbanks, always searching for her drowned child. She also haunts high school teacher Johanna Rios, whose own mother believed so deeply in the legend she tried to drown her daughters. And now the ghost has become real, a young woman murdered, and the safe world Jo created is falling apart.

Since returning home from his last tour of duty to become a school principal, Ray Vargas has fought his attraction for his employee, the sensual woman who’d once been the girl next door. But the Llorona Killer will not stop until he claims his final victim—Johanna—and Ray will do anything to protect the woman he’s come to love.

With a serial killer out to prove the curse is real, will Ray and Johanna’s future be drowned in the ghostly waters of the past? Or will the power of their love give them the strength to stop a killer…and heal their wounded hearts.


Buy Links


 

**INTERVIEW**

How has your life changed since becoming published?
Oh my gosh, I don't know if I can even count the ways! I was a teacher (middle and high school) when I first started writing in earnest. Since I first published (Living the Vida Lola, a Lola Cruz Mystery), we’ve moved to Texas and I no longer teach, I’ve written and had published 9 books, with several more under contract, my kids now have seen someone follow their passion and find success, and I get to do the thing I love more than anything…write!

What a great story and inspiration both to your readers and your kids! What is your typical day like?
No day is typical with 5 children, a full time job (I’m Publicity Director of Indulgence with Entangled Publishing, as well as a writer), writing, and just life in general! I spend the majority of my day working with my Indulgence authors/books. The late afternoons and evenings are dedicated to writing and my family. But often, things change and I don’t write at all, or I write more than expected. Basically, everyday is an adventure! I will say that I spend too much time in my chair at my computer, no matter that day!!

Preaching to the choir here – 7 kids. Typical? You must be joking, right? LOL But how awesome! I lurve Entangled! Tell us a little about your current release Curse of Passion.
Curse of Passion is the story of Johanna Rios, who’s been haunted by the legend of la Llorona her entire life. Here’s the blurb:

The ghost of la Llorona is said to haunt the riverbanks, always searching for her drowned child. She also haunts high school teacher Johanna Rios, whose own mother believed so deeply in the legend she tried to drown her daughters. And now the ghost has become real, a young woman murdered, and the safe world Jo created is falling apart.

Since returning home from his last tour of duty to become a school principal, Ray Vargas has fought his attraction for his employee, the sensual woman who’d once been the girl next door. But the Llorona Killer will not stop until he claims his final victim—Johanna—and Ray will do anything to protect the woman he’s come to love.

With a serial killer out to prove the curse is real, will Ray and Johanna’s future be drowned in the ghostly waters of the past? Or will the power of their love give them the strength to stop a killer...and heal their wounded hearts...?


Holy cow! Sounds like an edge-of-your-seat-read! Any upcoming projects you would like to tell us about?
The fourth book in my bestselling Magical Dressmaking mystery series, A Custom-Fit Crime, just came out in July and I’m currently working on the sixth book in that series. A Killing Notion comes out this winter. The series follows Harlow Cassidy, a descendant of Butch Cassidy, fashion designer, and amateur sleuth. She’s charmed (her designs help people’s dreams and wishes be realized), and the small town of Bliss, Texas is quirky and fun!

So what you are saying is that you are busy. Check. :) How do you keep in contact with your readers?
I send out newsletters when I have something to say, I share information on my website, I use Facebook, and Twitter.

Great to know! What is your favorite thing about this book?
I wrote Curse of Passion primarily because I was fascinated with the legend of la Llorona, which is at the core of the story. The legend lends itself to a romantic suspense so beautifully and I loved learning about the different versions of the legend.

I think I Have heard that one but I am not sure if I am right or not. What’s next for you?
I’m working on Grave Designs, book 6 in A Magical Dressmaking mystery series, I’m developing another series for my editor, and will be working on another Lola Cruz mystery, too!

Right. Busy, busy! LOL What is one thing you cut from the book that either you wish you had left in, or readers would like to hear about?
Initially, the book had the point of view of the villain. I really loved having that component in the story because it built the suspense in a different way. I am thrilled with how the book turned out, but taking out that point of view character was tough!


I have read books like that and they always made me cringe. It did add an extra component to the story. I can see how it would have been a difficult decision. What are you reading now? Any favorites you tend to go back to?
I’m reading The Other Typist, by Suzanne Rindell. It’s a slow burn mystery with a Hitchcock flair. I’m enjoying it. I don’t tend to reread books (unless I forget I’ve read them!).

Really? I have some I have read several times. Was there something in particular that gave you the idea for this book (series)?
My husband is Mexican American and I love his culture, the importance of family, Mexican legends, and those are the main themes in Curse of Passion (and Sacrifice of Passion). When I decided I wanted to write a romantic suspense, I immediately went to the legends, especially that of la Llorona. Translated, it means the Crying Woman. She killed her child, then herself, and is said to haunt the riverbanks in search of her child. A great backdrop for suspense, right?!

Yes! That IS the one I was thinking of! It was part of a show I was watching not that long ago, but now I have forgotten what it was. Dang! That is going to bug the crap out of me now! Any advice you’d like to share for aspiring writers?
You’ve probably heard if before, but NEVER GIVE UP!

And it is still great advice no matter how many times you have heard it! Do you have any other hobbies or interests besides writing?
I love yoga, I walk regularly with my friend, author Wendy Lyn Watson (she also writes as Annie Knox), I sew (not as much as I’d like, but my goal this year is to sew more!), and cooking healthy (since I have two kids with celiac disease, one with type one diabetes, two who are also vegetarians!). Never a dull moment.

Oh! See that would be difficult. I can't imagine cooking for a large family with dietary restrictions. Hats off to you! Salty or Sweet?

Sweet!

Amen! What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas!

For sure! Do you have a favorite inspirational quote?
I go through phases. Right now I love the quote by Audrey Hepburn:

I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.”
Fabulous! I love that! Boxers or briefs?
Boxers or boxer briefs!

Hmmm … a little variety. Good answer. M&M’s or Skittles?
M&Ms

Thank you! E-reader or Paperback?
E-reader, baby. I <3 my iPad and Nook.

Erm … I love my iPad but I am paperback whore at heart. Not to say I don't completely understand the lure of the eReader. Caffeine or Decaf?
Caffeine 

Exactly! Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
Somewhere in between. I’m more of an introvert, though.

Lets say I am definitely not going extrovert anytime soon. *wink* DH is total extrovert so I think in that respect, I get balanced. So I can relate on some level to somewhere in the middle. Almond Joy or Mounds?
Neither, I'm not a fan of nuts.

*gasp* Well that is just unfortunate! Mounds does not have nuts. All you have to like for that is dark chocolate and coconut.

Now how about a little taste of CURSE OF PASSION?


 

**EXCERPT**
By reading any further you are stating you are at least 18 years of age.
If you are under the age of 18, it is necessary for you to exit this site.

Johanna paced and turned toward him, but still hadn’t noticed Ray in the doorway. He catalogued her features. She was thirty-two, with honey-colored skin, cheekbones that gave her an exotic look, long, dark hair…
As it often did, his gaze hitched at her full, red lips. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d kissed lips like that. Maybe never.
The sliver of skin showing between her sweater and her pants drew his eyes. She looked far hotter than any teacher had a right to—certainly hotter than any teacher he’d ever had. Thank God, or he’d never have graduated.
He felt his eyes pinch and blinked hard to break the drugged feeling that suddenly slid over him. He’d done his best to steer clear of her for years, and after this conversation, he’d go back to staying away.
Who is this? What do you want?” Johanna’s voice held fear, tinged with anger.
That was not a tone Ray associated with Johanna. He froze in place. He’d been trained well by the Army. Freeze first. Assess. Decide. Then move.
She spoke again, her voice rising in pitch. “Would you just stop calling?” she demanded, her voice shaking.
Distressed. Johanna was distressed. Time to act. Ray moved then, coming into the classroom, bumping a desk as he came toward her, startling her.
She whipped around, gasping as she saw him. Her face paled, and a second later she dropped her cell phone on her desk. She speared her hand through her hair, her fingers bending until they looked like claws digging into her scalp.
His heart pumped hard. What the hell? “Johanna,” he said, aware his voice was gruffer than he’d intended. “What was that about?”
She stared at him, her eyes wide, like a damn deer caught in the headlights. One second. Two seconds. Three seconds.
Prank caller,” she finally said, snapping out of her trance.
Ray ran the pads of his fingers over his goatee. Prank caller, my ass. She’d been engaged in that conversation, had been responding to the person on the other end of the line. But her eyes stayed wary and he decided to let it go. He was here for a purpose. Marianne’s murder needed his attention, and he wanted to know Johanna’s secret.
Sorry for barging in,” he said, “but I’d like to continue the conversation we started back in my office.”
She raised an eyebrow at him. “You mean about Marianne? Are the deputies coming back?”
He shook his head. “They’re gone.” She looked puzzled as he continued. “You brought up la Llorona.”
Yes,” she said flatly.
Her voice had lost the shaky edge it had held a moment ago on the phone. Hell, now it almost sounded like it could freeze water. Her own form of self-preservation, he supposed. “You wrote your master’s thesis on her?”
Johanna slumped against her desk and ran one hand over her face, down her neck, let it settle on her chest. “Yes.”
Why?”
She hesitated, and for a moment looked like she wasn’t going to respond. Then she spoke, her voice softer, more thoughtful. “My mother believed in her.”
Odd. Johanna had placed a strange emphasis on the word believed. Hadn’t her mother simply known about the story? Why would she believe in a ghost tale? “La Llorona is a legend,” he said.
A legend based on a real woman who lived five hundred years ago.”
It’s a kid’s story. Like the boogieman and the chupacabra.”
Johanna shook her head. “My mother believed la Llorona was real. Because of that, I’ve always been…curious…about the legend.”
She started when her cell phone rang. Her sudden jerk sent the tips of her fingers slipping under the vee of her sweater. His eyes followed the path as her hand settled on the swell of her breast. He swallowed, narrowing his eyes as he forced his gaze back to her face. Her phone, playing a traditional cumbia rather than a regular ring tone, continued for a full ten seconds while she stood frozen. She didn’t even look at where it sat on the desk.
He tried not to think about whatever might be going on in her personal life that warranted heated phone calls. A bad break-up, maybe? He hadn’t heard she was dating anyone, but she might be. Much as he hated to admit it to himself, he didn’t want her to have a personal life. It messed with his fantasy.
Enough. He had to get his head back in the game. Had to focus on why he was here —and that reason was not to stare at her breasts or get jealous over imaginary lovers or remind himself of the fantasies he’d had of her—fantasies featuring her naked. Her hot mouth on his. Her skin sliding sinuously under his.







**AUTHOR QUESTION**
Have you heard of chupacabra (the legend in Sacrifice of Passion) or la Llorona (the legend in Curse of Passion)?




So what did you think? Awesome? I think so! I know I have heard of both legends. How about you? Answer Ms. Ramirez's question to let us know and please tell us what you thought about the excerpt and blurb while you are at it. Your comments are always welcome! I love getting your feedback on the things that I feature on the blog.

I want to thank Ms. Ramirez for stopping by and for taking the time to answer all of the interview questions. I had a ton of fun with them. I hope you all enjoyed yourselves as much as I did! If you were intrigued by what you experienced here today, I hope that you will consider purchasing a copy of this book for yourself and showing your support for Ms. Ramirez.

Thanks so much for hopping in to spend some time with us today. I hope you all have a wonderful rest of the holiday weekend. Please be safe! I will see you all again soon. Until then ...
HAPPY READING!!!




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the interview! Glad you're back online :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! Me too! It was awful and I was going nuts not being able to accomplish anything! You are awesome and I appreciate you tons! Please feel free to come back anytime!

      Delete

I lurve comments! Say whatever is on your mind; just keep it respectful. I am always game for a conversation. :)