Reader’s Edyn

I always felt like I could do something more than just read. Finally, I have found both a creative outlet and a chance to do something meaningful with my reading. This blog was created in appreciation of and tribute to all of the authors who have brought me joy through their books. These reviews are my way of giving back to authors and providing recognition for the hard work that each one completes every day!

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Spotlight with author Jerrie Alexander

Spotlight with author Jerrie Alexander





Ok, ok. I know. It has been forevah! I had a lot of unforeseen circumstances and basically had to rearrange my entire life so that everything would jive together again. Unfortunately that meant that the blog took a back seat to DH, kiddos, and the business. But I have finally reached a point that everything is working out and I can now get back to the way things should have been…at least in my world. Because when there is no reading, reviewing, or blogging, I get totes unhappy. I have already felt a bazillion times better since I cracked the cover of the first book in several months, promptly demolished it, and followed with six more reads. Whoot whoot! If that is not happiness, then I don’t know what is. And so here is the plan …

When I skipped out suddenly, I literally skipped out. On a ton of posts. Seriously. So many so that I can fill all of April with these abandoned posts. So I went ahead and scheduled out the whole month with said posts. I do this because I feel bad about not making good on my commitments. It cheapens me, the blog, and lets down the author, book, and tour company. Luckily, these tour companies have been extremely forgiving and have not held a grudge. That said, you will see this exact paragraph in the beginning of each of these posts for the month of April. I will be interspersing both old and new posts so that you all aren’t overwhelmed with what you may have already read. But I figure that promo whether early, or late, is overall better that never. And so I carry on. I hope that many of these posts bring new authors and books to your attention, and if you have had the opportunity to read any of them, then I definitely would like you to weigh in on your opinions. I could go on forever, but I think it would be best to just get going. So without further adieu, please allow me to introduce to the blog:



**JERRIE ALEXANDER**


**BIO**

The author of The Green-Eyed Doll, The Last Execution, Someone To Watch Over Me, and her new release Hell or High Water, Book 1 in the Lost and Found, Inc., Jerrie lives in Texas, loves sunshine, children’s laughter, sugar (human and granulated), and researching for her heroes and heroines.

She writes alpha males and kick-ass women who weave their way through death and fear to emerge stronger because of, and on occasion in spite of, their love for each other.  She likes to torture people, make them suffer, and if they’re strong enough, they live happily ever after.

You can find out more about Ms. Alexander in the following places:




**HELL OR HIGH WATER**
**Lost and Found, Inc. #1**


Romantic Suspense
Categories: Action/Adventure, Military, Mystery/Thriller
Publisher: Self/Indie
Release Date: August 2, 2013
Heat Level: Steamy
Word Count/Length: 79,500 words/260 pages



**BLURB**

A woman in danger. A man she loves but can't trust.

When ex-SEAL Nate Wolfe learns a woman from his past is in danger, nothing will stop him from protecting her. Not even her.

Dallas Child Protection Services Investigator Kay Taylor doesn't want or need Nate in her life. But he doesn't seem to understand the word no. He seems to also have forgotten the brand he left on her heart.

When Kay is taken and sold to a monster, the devil himself couldn't stop Nate from doing whatever it takes to find her...but will he be in time?

Warning: This title is intended for readers over the age of 18 as it contains adult sexual situations and/or adult language, and may be considered offensive to some readers.

Buy Links






**EXCERPT**
By reading any further you are stating you are at least 18 years of age.
If you are under the age of 18, it is necessary for you to exit this site.

A chill slammed into her. Again, somebody’s eyes on her sent a shiver up her arms. She whirled.

A black Harley was parked down the block. She paused at the rear of the car and stared at the rider. Odd that he’d parked away from the funeral crowd and sat there watching. Damn, the black visor didn’t stop the burn as his gaze bore down on her. Her breath caught. Was this the man who’d saved her? Wearing a black leather jacket and matching helmet, the man sat motionless.

She started toward him, and the rider stepped off the bike. If this was her ninja, she’d demand answers after she thanked him. He turned his back to her and then removed the helmet. His fingers wound through shoulder-length black hair, tying the strands together with a piece of leather. There was something vaguely familiar about him. His movements. His shoulders. His hands.

He turned to face her, and her heart rate raced toward the ozone.

“Hello, Kaycie.”

Ten years of missing Nate Wolfe boiled over. He was here. Really here. She sprang into his arms, clutched his broad shoulders and leaned into his hard-as-a-rock chest. God, his scent, a mixture of leather, woodsy cologne and virile man washed over her. Damn. Her body betrayed her by melting into him.

“Nate,” she whispered into his neck. “You saved me.” Her flesh heated when his large hands flexed against the small of her back and drew her closer.

“Come hell or high water,” he whispered, his warm breath sending heat streaks across her skin.

A split-second passed before memories of his lying tongue using that same phrase so many years ago hit her. A volcano of heartbreak erupted and spewed forth. 

“Don’t touch me,” she spit the words at him while scrambling out of reach. “And don’t you dare say that to me. Ever.”

“You hugged me.” His eyes went wide and he held his hands up in surrender.

Damn him and his Cheshire cat grin. Kay plowed her right fist into his jaw. God, pain shot up her arm. His head barely moved. Still, she relished the snap of his teeth. Obviously, she didn’t hit him hard enough. He rubbed his scruffy jaw while that sexy little smile inched right back up his cheeks.

“Why are you following me?” Her knuckles hurt like hell, but he’d never know.

“What?” He held his hands in front of him, palms up. “No good to see you, Nate? No how you been? No nothing.”

“I’ll try this again, slower. Why. Are. You. Fol—”

“We need to talk.” The fun left his gaze. The sparkle dimmed to seriousness.

She stepped further away and sent him a glare designed to blister his flesh from head to toe. Unaffected, he picked up the cell phone earpiece she’d knocked off and reattached it to his ear while never taking his navy blue eyes off her.

“No, we don’t. Thank you for saving my life. Now do what you do best. Go away.” She spun on her heel. Rubbing her now swelling hand, Kay stalked straight to her waiting friend.

“You okay?” Holly asked over the top of the car before she slid behind the wheel.

“If I didn’t break my fist on his cement jaw, I will be.” Kay stabbed her seatbelt a second time before fastening it properly. She cursed the tears welling. Cursed the feel his warm body imprinted on her breasts. Cursed the memories that sent her heart spinning.

Holly dropped her .380 in her purse.

“Did you take that in church this morning?”

“Yep. God knows I carry. And the law gave me a permit. Glad I had it, because I didn’t know what the hell was going down when you hit him. Who was the hunk?”

“Nate Wolfe.”

“Holy shit. The guy from college?”

“The same. He’s been watching me. I’m sure of it.”

“I should’ve shot him.” Holly punched the gas pedal, ignoring the speed bumps.

“Thanks for having my back. And for getting the concealed carry license.”

“I’m never without protection. Or a gun.” Holly chuckled at her own joke. “Where to?”








**BONUS EXCERPT**
By reading any further you are stating you are at least 18 years of age.
If you are under the age of 18, it is necessary for you to exit this site.

Nate picked the lock on Kaycie’s apartment and eased inside. The minute he stepped through the door the hair on the back of his neck rose. She wasn’t home, so why the sizzle of nerves? He shook it off.

It wasn’t difficult to convince himself that looking around was purely tactical. Necessary to ensure he could protect her.

Tyrell and Marcus would arrive in an hour. The three of them were having an intervention with Kaycie when she got home. She’d protest him getting involved, but until he stopped the threat against her she’d travel with an armed bodyguard.

The open floor plan of her small apartment lumped the kitchen, dining and living area into one big room and made for easy defending. The solid wall of windows troubled him, but he could close the blinds, effectively eliminating the possibility of someone getting a clear shot. He double-checked the locks on the windows. He shoved his fingers through his hair, tying it off his face.

The room at the end of the hall had to be Kaycie’s bedroom. He moved silently, stopped just inside the doorway, and breathed in the air where she slept. Sensible Kaycie, the room wasn’t elaborate or fancy. No luxurious king-size bed; she slept on a queen.

He could make do with a queen. If she was stretched out naked in it. He applied a mental head slap. No complications needed.

Every open space was filled with books, souvenirs, and pictures. He wondered if she’d kept the Saint Jude medallion. Maybe tucked it away in the back of the jewelry box or wrapped in tissue secured in one of those drawers on the dresser. More likely, she’d dropped it in the nearest trashcan the day he left for boot camp.

She deserved a better man, somebody without all his baggage. Somebody who didn’t reach for a weapon at every sound. Somebody who’d always be there for her.

The front door opened and closed, snapping him to the present. Nate froze. His pulse quickened. Not good. He’d let his thoughts wander and missed hearing the lock turn.

Or did Kaycie have an unwelcome visitor?

Other than him.

Keys jangled and Nate released the breath he’d held. Kaycie was home. He stifled a chuckle. Finding him in her apartment would seriously piss her off.

Nate silently moved down the hall. He found her in the kitchen with her back to him. Reaching up, she removed a glass from the shelf, giving him the opportunity he needed. He moved fast, trapping her between the counter with his body, his arms wrapped around, pinning hers to her side.

She screamed and tried to whirl. Wasn’t happening. She stomped where his feet should’ve been. Nice move, but he’d spread his legs out of reach. He leaned in tighter. He wouldn’t hurt her just keep her still. Damn, she’d mastered a few self-defense techniques over the years. He tightened his grip to immobilize her.

Inches from the nape of her neck, he fought an unexpected urge to lean down and test that spot right behind her ear. The sensitive place he used to kiss again and again until she purred.

She tried to butt him with the back of her head. Time to make her aware of who had her pinned.

“Nate, you bastard. Get off me.”

Apparently, she already knew.

“That Glock on your hip is no help if it’s holstered.” He intended to rest his hand on her gun, but instead, and of its own accord, he found the palm of his hand resting on her taut belly.

He stepped back before his erection pressing against her drew her attention. Her fingers wrapped around the butt of the gun.

“Don’t try it,” he warned.

“Get over yourself.” Her tone matched the hate in her eyes. “You really think I care enough about you to shoot you?”





So what did you all think? I cheated. I was only supposed to share one excerpt, but since this post is well overdue, I wanted to give you all a little extra. This is the first time I have come across Ms. Alexander. Perhaps some of you have read her work before. Maybe you have even read this story itself. I would love your feedback. Tell me what you thought. Your comments are always welcomed and encouraged. What do you all think about a long lost love coming back from the past to protect you in the future. I think I would have a lot of questions for said smokin’ hot male. Sounds like Kay will as well. I like the idea of a strong heroine. I still appreciate the manly hunk saving the day, but it nice to see a woman who can hold her own from time to time as well. Thoughts? Feel free to weigh in.  

Special thanks to the former CBLS Promotions for providing the promo materials. I hope that you all will take the opportunity to check this book out. If you have already, please let me know what you thought. If you enjoyed what you experienced here today, please consider doing one of the following in both supporting the author and your future reading experiences with her: Add the book to you TBR list; purchase a copy of the book for yourself or a friend; and/or write a review of the book and post it online (just a couple of sentences is enough).

I hope that you all enjoyed your time spent here today and hope to see you again soon. Have a fabulous day! Until next time …


HAPPY READING!!!



2 comments:

  1. Edyn, thank you for hosting me! It's good to see you're back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Alexander! It was great to feature you and I feel beyond fabulous getting back into the "game". I missed it terribly! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete

I lurve comments! Say whatever is on your mind; just keep it respectful. I am always game for a conversation. :)